[OpenSCAD] Not enough RAM - Solution

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 14:12:01 EST 2018

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 07:21:16 -0700 (MST)
jamie123 <jamie at easytweety.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else had difficulties running OpenSCAD on their computer?

I never got much done with it on my laptop. Even if the render worked the
battery unsurprisingly went down rather fast. Laptops in general are not
good at compute heavy tasks because they have low TDP parts and less
cooling so while their peak performance is good a sustained crunch ends
up thermally constrained.

> Rather ambitiously I installed OpenSCAD on my ASUS X205T (Intel ATOM and 2GB
> RAM) and unsurprisingly it keeps crashing. I was thinking about getting a
> new PC but I’ve found a much cheaper solution, I’ve installed OpenSCAD in
> the cloud (on Amazon servers) and now I’m using it through a remote desktop.
> It means that I’m able to run it on an 8 core PC with 32GB of RAM for only
> $1 per hour. The difference is quite incredible.

That's not bad at all! You are probably wasting 6.5 cores because
OpenSCAD doesn't really parallelise yet.

I do most of my big memory processing on second hand Xeon rack boxes
because they are cheap and the RAM is dirt cheap (because it won't fit
"normal" PCs), plus they are noisy and a funny shape so nobody wants them
on their desk 8) Most of them also take 64GB+ easily.

You can pick up Westmere-EP systems really cheaply, and increasingly so
with Sandybridge. I look forward to a production standard parallel
OpenSCAD though - being able to throw 16 cores at it will be nice.

Alan