[OpenSCAD] Mayan calendar

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Fri Jan 5 17:45:15 EST 2018

On 05. jan. 2018 16:35, cbernhardt wrote:
> On my Windows 7, 64 bit machine, with 16 GB ram, the program starts with
> "Compiling Design (CSG Tree generation)", then "Compiling Design(CSG
> Products Generation)".  After about 40 seconds I get a Microsoft Visual C++
> Runtime Library message "The application has requested the Runtime to
> terminate in an unusual way.  Please contact the application support team
> for more information.
>
> If I remove the linear_extrude() line and start OpenSCAD by selecting
> mayan_haab_15_inch. scad file the initial rendering appears in about 3 sec,
> but it is still extruded.  If I hit F5 the Preview appears (still extruded)
> in about 3 sec, but F6 still causes the error message.
>
> I am rather inexperienced with OpenSCAD so could someone explain why when I
> remove the linear_extrude() line the initial rendering and the F5 rendering
> still appears as an extruded image?  If I change the scale_factor the image
> changes size, but the image still appears as extruded.  Is the image cached
> somewhere?
>
> Charles

Hi Charles

Sounds like you have some issue with your computer, it should work fine.
I don't know if OpenSCAD is compiled using MSVC++ on Windows, but your
message seems to indicate so.

Here are the corresponding numbers for my 3 computers, all run ok.

Flushed caches between runs (Design -> Flush caches)

Computer 1
----------
OS Win10 64
OpenSCAD version 2017.01.20 (git 59df0d1)
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz (x4)
12GB DDR3 RAM

with linear_extrude
render F5 49 seconds
render F6 42 seconds

linear_extrude removed:
render F5 13 seconds
render F6 41 seconds

Computer 2
----------
OS Win 7 64
OpenSCAD version 2018.01.02 (git 47402a7)
Intel Core i3-2120 CPU v2 @ 3.30GHz (x4)
4GB RAM

with linear_extrude
render F5 1 min 11 seconds
render F6 1 min 12 seconds

linear_extrude removed:
render F5 15 seconds
render F6 1 min 9 seconds

Computer 3
----------
OS Kubuntu 17.04 64
OpenSCAD version 2015.03-2
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz (x4)
32 GB RAM

with linear_extrude
render F5 27 seconds
render F6 25 seconds

linear_extrude removed:
render F5 1 second
render F6 26 seconds

As Ronaldo Persiano mentioned, the F5 preview of 2D models in OpenSCAD
is deceptive, because it looks like a 3D model, but isn't. The F6 render
is on the other hand more proper 2D visualisation.

Carsten Arnholm