[OpenSCAD] what base language is used in OpenSCAD

Jordan Brown openscad at jordan.maileater.net
Thu Apr 26 20:59:56 EDT 2018

On 4/26/2018 2:51 PM, ken at volksswitch.org wrote:

> I’d like to be able to convert a string to an integer in OpenSCAD.
> For example:
>

> string = “11”;
>
> number = xxx(string);
>

> echo(number);
>

> … produces:  ECHO: 11
>

> What is xxx()?  I have a suspicion that there are more functions
> available in OpenSCAD than appear on the Cheat Sheet.  Functions that
> just come with the language that OpenSCAD is built on.  Am I
> hallucinating or is there such a language?

I don't know anything about the internals, but based on what I've seen
of the externals... no, there isn't such a language; it's a completely
unique design.

And indeed some quick source inspection strongly suggests that what you
see is what you get.
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/blob/620ae8a8aa4ad6610aa3cdae8d1aedb828ed55cb/src/scadlexer.cpp#L14
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/blob/e99ec0ff4e89344da3c3709f381decc9fb95b9fd/src/func.cc#L939