[OpenSCAD] 3D Printer

Jamie Bainbridge jamie.bainbridge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 19:20:53 EDT 2018

For nylon, the number one thing you want is an all-metal heatbreak.

Many of these cheap Chinese printers have a design where the teflon
filament tube goes down into the hot nozzle area. Above 240C, teflon
releases an odorless colorless neurotoxin which is very harmful. You
will need to go over 250C to print Nylon, so a printer design with the
teflon tube up against the nozzle is not suitable.

If you buy one of these cheap machines with the teflon tube hotend,
then spend the money upgrading the hotend to a genuine E3D V6 hotend
which has an all-metal heatbreak. Buy from a genuine reseller such as
Filastruder (USA) or E3D themselves (UK). You will find designs for
upgrading most printers to a V6 on Thingiverse or MyMiniFactory.

Don't believe cheap printer vendor marketing and don't buy a cheap
clone hotend. A lot of them sell these teflon-lined hotends as
"improved design" which isn't actually an improvement at all. Where a
cheap clone actually has a metal heatbreak, usually the machining is
inferior which just leads to filament clogging.

Jamie