[OpenSCAD] Hull smoothing

Gadgetmind lists at foxhill.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 09:43:47 EDT 2018

On 21/04/18 10:18, l4u wrote:
> Yes I want to smooth the edges, but keep the square holes untouched.

When I want to do anything "clever" with holes, I use a special variable
called $negative.

I then difference () all of my geometry called with $negative=false with
the same code called with $negative set true. With $negative false,
everything creates its "form", and with it true, creates its holes.

You can then smooth the positive form before removing sharp holes. I
find minkowski too slow and generally smooth things in other (non
trivial!) ways, but I can't immediately see how to apply these to your
case (pun intended!).

I generally use this approach when I want "holes" a module creates to be
removed from all other modules too, which happens naturally as all the
$negative false parts are (implicitly) unioned and then the union of the
negative true parts is removed.

Hope this helps.