[OpenSCAD] Severe lag when rotating model in viewing area

Bryan Lee leebc11 at acm.org
Sun Oct 30 12:49:58 EDT 2016

-- Update --

Thank you, Torsten.

I've since upgraded to "newer" hardware (circa 2011) with an AMD Mobility
Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470,  but since I'm running the exact same OS and
packages, I had the same problem.

Per your suggestion, what I've done this morning is configure the PPA
and installed OpenSCAD 2015.03-2+dfsg-1~xenial as described here:
	https://launchpad.net/~openscad/+archive/ubuntu/releases

I now have:
	OpenSCAD Version: 2015.03-2
	Qt version: 5.5.1
	Using QOpenGLWidget

It's DEFINATELY rendering and rotating much better than before.
I've tested 3 SCAD files with good results:
	A model with many unions, differences and intersections
	An animation with a couple differences
and	surface() PNG model.

All work great (though the surface() is slow from a stupidly high number of
polygons).

Thank you very much for your help.

I just realized that in my original "Lib & Build info" it incorrectly
shows that I had "16777216.00 TB RAM".  My updated version correctly shows
1.89 GB RAM.
Should I file a bug on this?