[OpenSCAD] Openscad Indirect Functions

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Mon Oct 17 17:56:04 EDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 10:26 PM, otto wrote:
> I am somewhat concerned that my syntax will be passed
> by on the next newer and better version of OpenScad and
> will be obsolete.

Trying this out will help to get a feeling of how it works
and maybe find potential issues, that's very useful.

For integration we should try finding a way that is
compatible with the ideas for a future language version.
It's likely going to be quite some time until a new
language version will happen, still making the task
unnecessary difficult is not a good idea.

> It seems that there is very little work going on at the
> moment to expand the syntax.  That speaks loads about the
> excellent quality of the current syntax and code, since
> it is clearly being used widely.

I can only speak for myself, but the reason for very little
going on is totally to blame on lack of spare time.

Also there's always the concern of breaking scripts, so
syntax changes are slower than other changes.

> This is only for the sake of making it easy to download
> an compile reliably. I am unfamiliar with github and the
> ethics of cooperation on the open source site, so forgive
> me and inform me if this is the wrong approach to getting
> new code into the world and tested.

Working from github certainly makes things easier, I'll
try to build some special Windows snapshots for people
who just want to give it a try. Might take a couple of
days though...

If you want to chat a bit more interactively, you can
find Marius (nickname kintel) and me (nickname teepee)
quite often in the #openscad IRC channel on freenode.
Just say hello and hang around a bit, someone will
notice eventually.

  http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=openscad

Small note on git/github usage, it will probably help to
work on changes in a separate branch instead of directly
using master. It's usually better to merge things in
smaller changes that belong to a single topic (via pull
requests). If everything is just committed to master,
it's much more complicated as everything is mixed together.

> Who else is working on the OpenScad C++/parser code here
> and what are they doing?

I'm not aware of bigger changes going on in the parser,
I think the latest bigger change was about better line
number tracking and that is in master now.

ciao,
  Torsten.