[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Mon Oct 17 14:39:18 EDT 2016

On 06. okt. 2016 18:58, Torsten Paul wrote:
> We still need to work out some of the details, but
> https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/1110 should
> be able to handle at least the simpler cases using
> the potrace library.

I have been playing a bit more with generating 3d models from images or
other data sources. For the case of an image, instead of using potrace,
the idea was to automatically generate the modeller code to create a
'language version' of a profile.

For example, using this image as input
http://arnholm.org/tmp/profiles/guy.png

OpenSCAD code was generated, the image profile is now a module:
http://arnholm.org/tmp/profiles/guy.scad

Same thing in AngelScript code, the image profile is now a function
http://arnholm.org/tmp/profiles/guy.as

Both produce very similar looking results, using quite different
internal libraries. Regardless of the preferred modeller, with such an
approach one can build a library of profiles expressed directly in the
modeller language, not having to rely on external files.

I also find it interesting to compare the syntax. In Angelscript, the
shapes are real language variables that can be modified. Assembling the
final model is a simple linear process where the profile object is
modified several times. In OpenSCAD it has to be expressed as a
recursion, not quite as easy IMHO. But in both cases the result is the same.

Regards
Carsten Arnholm