[OpenSCAD] building screw threads

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Fri Oct 14 09:16:26 EDT 2016

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 06:15, Joris Robijn <joris at robijn.net> wrote:
>
> Any chance this might make it in a future release? I'm running into this again now, and I don't like to the use libraries for this basic lathe functionality.
>
> Would it be easy for me (having some C++ experience) to add it myself?

It’s trivial to add the basic functionality.
Dealing with the public interface, corner cases and testing to get it accepted into OpenSCAD takes a bit more effort.

One idea could be to introduce a new built-in module for this; lathe() or helix() or smth.. That way we can leave rotate_extrude() alone. We still need to be careful as we have to maintain this function in the future.
Hopefully, in the future it would be possible to implement such a module in pure openscad.

 -Marius