[OpenSCAD] How can I tell what OpenSCAD is doing?

Ronaldo rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:00:21 EDT 2016

Parkinbot wrote
> Well, I was referring to my
> Thingiverse post <http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659079>
> , which uses my very own version of sweep() from Naca_sweep.scad, which,
> like skin(), is somehow more flexible than the version in sweep.scad. For
> the difference, refer to
> https://github.com/openscad/list-comprehension-demos/issues/3

I know your approach but see it more as a powerful version of linear
extrusion.

> And, you say it: You couldn't model a Moebius strip with an odd number of
> windings with it. Isn't any moebius strip kinda donut?
> Also a threading with slope > 0 can't be closed automatically.

The answer to your question is: yes and no. It has a genus if you conceive
it with thickness. But to resemble a Moebius strip you must give it a total
twist of 180 degree and this infeasible with Linde's closed sweeps.
For threads, your approach is perfect. Linde's sweep.scad is useless unless
you control twists and initial angle. And, of course, it is not closed.