[OpenSCAD] Error importing STL.

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 11:32:03 EDT 2016

On 10/10/2016 12:06 PM, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> So I load this model
>   http://prive.bitwizard.nl/Top_vert_conic_sm_endstop_v3.STL

Looks ok in Blender, but has some Zero-Faces that cause issues
in OpenSCAD.

The FAQ has some suggestions on how to fix those:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/FAQ#Why_is_my_imported_STL_file_only_showing_up_with_F5_but_not_F6.3F

> in the log window, and many repetitions of:
>
> Error !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are coming from libCGAL, which usually means some issues
in with the model which they did not really know how to handle.

> A better error message in openscad could help people less
> seasoned as me in finding a workaround. I still need to print
> a few objects from that set, so I would like to know WHAT is
> wrong, and how to fix/avoid it.

This would be nice, but especially in case of imported STL
files, that is not actually OpenSCAD code, but libCGAL, so
short of rewriting all that, that's not a lot we can do.

What's on the to-do list though is automatic fixing of those
zero-face issues which could hopefully reduce the STL import
problems quite a lot.

ciao,
  Torsten.