[OpenSCAD] How can I tell what OpenSCAD is doing?

Parkinbot rudolf at parkinbot.com
Mon Oct 10 05:31:28 EDT 2016

wolf wrote
> Thus, for the fastest rendering speed, you forget about OpenSCAD and use
> an imperative language like C or Pascal. This gives you the best speed (I
> have achieved speedups of up to 30000 (thirty thousand) times where I used
> that approach.) Major disadvantage of this approach is that you also have
> to figure out a means to write an .stl file to disk - not too difficult a
> task. In my case, writing to disk a 200000 facet file took longer than
> rendering it. For viewing your file I would suggest you use MeshLab, as
> OpenSCAD is just too slow.

Again, and again you propagate this wild approach. High level approaches are
versatile but slow. Hardcoding a problem with C or Assembler will of course
be faster in execution. But it can take hours, days, weeks to code such a
special solution. And any attempt to alter your design later on will bring
you back to start forcing you to reinvent the wheel again an again. Might be
fun for you, but not for others.
The stuff you are presenting is special cases and will work for
non-self-intersecting designs only. As soon as non-linear extrusion comes
into play you either have to go the VERY HARD way and implement Boolean
operations on your own (this is what CGAL mainly is used for), or you use
some tricky code to treat self-intersections (SI) that are known by analytic
means.

This, at least from an OpenSCAD perspective, FAST code will give you an
example: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1659079. It combines a general
(ignorant) sweep with a union to get around a pre-analyzed SI problem in a
viable way.

Rudolf