[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Carsten Arnholm arnholm at arnholm.org
Sat Oct 8 04:41:40 EDT 2016

Referring to the polygon builder at http://daid.eu/~daid/3d/

I figured out how to use it, it is quite easy.

To draw a polygon, press the green plus button and click in the drawing
area repeatedly to lay out the polygon points.

To remove a point, press the red minus button and click one of the
points to make it go away.

To change the position of a point, press the mouse cursor button, then
point to one of the points drawn, press and hold left mouse button
(point turns red) and drag the point to the new location.

Making rounded corners. Let us assume you have a polygon with 4 corners.
To make one of them 'round', click it in the drawing (it turns red) then
press the button showing a curve with 3 point symbols (under the green
plus). Two "ghost points" will appear near the selected drawing point
and the curve will be distorted near that point. To change the shape of
the distortion, drag these "ghost points" (presumably the Bezier
handles) to new locations. To get a nice smooth shape the Bezier points
and the original point should be roughly on a straight tangent line
relative to the curve.

Screenshot 1 (polygon builder)
https://gyazo.com/ea2f78ac043499612fde635e5c4197ee

Obviously, the idea is that the "OpenSCAD code" window contains code for
an extended polygon producing the same shape, you just cut/paste the
generated code into OpenSCAD

Screenshot 2 (OpenSCAD)
https://gyazo.com/00ae59cd254035568d6a1283ddca7830

Carsten Arnholm