[OpenSCAD] sumUp() to Replace Difference() (in most cases)

nop head nop.head at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:19:29 EDT 2016

>Surprising recoding, nophead. The for() statement is used as a let() !

It is a bodge because let() isn't accepted at that position, assign is
deprecated in favour of assignment in braces but braces don't work if they
are not the child of something like for or if.

>it is impossible to say to openscad to "simply put screws just where you
have made holes ...

I make the screw hole positions relative to the part's origin into a module
that translates a child. Then I can use that with a poly_cylinder child to
drill the holes in both the part and mating parts and with a screw / washer
/ nut combo child to place the fasteners just after I place the part.

I haven't felt the need to encapsulate objects and their holes into the
same module. I simply have my_object(), my_object_hole_positions() and
usually my_object_assembly(), which is the object plus its fasteners. The
hole positions might be used to drill clearance holes in the part and
tappable holes or nut traps in a mating part, etc, so I find it more useful
than having the object bore its own holes.

>i did not think of the trick with the FOR instead of Union you use. do you
think it is faster?

No just more succinct source code.

> i had assumed that union of a union was a NOP and would not have any
effect.

It is a NOP because children() already unions the kids so there is nothing
to union. However I think we really want the kids to be hoisted into the
difference without being unioned first.

> i had a similar but very rough idea the branching is increased
significantly by the sumUps

I don't think the branching adds any significant time. It has to be extra
CSG ops to slow things down noticeably.

>by the way do you wish the rights to make the changes you wish(like the
"For" optimisation or whatever) on github of the project?

No thanks. The normal protocol is fork and submit a pull request but for
such a short piece of code it doesn't seem worth the hassle.