[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Thu Oct 6 16:51:49 EDT 2016

On 10/06/2016 10:04 PM, Richard Urwin wrote:
> tp3 wrote
>> The other option is to help making OpenSCAD itself better
>> which will then can benefit everyone who uses it.
>> Yes, it's more complicated to work together and find
>> solutions that don't break existing stuff, and yes that
>> can be frustrating at times, but there's also lots of
>> things to gain.
>
> Granted, and I might. But there are other gains in working
> alone on a private project, such as not having to convince
> everyone you have a good idea before you try it out and
> find it is rubbish.

Just trying something is actually very simple when using
OpenSCAD as base. Creating a new node that does something
new is quite easy, e.g. I had a python() node that could
generate geometry working in a couple of hours and I mostly
had to fight with the actual python interpreter calls.
The neat thing is that it's possible to reuse all the
existing parser and viewer code without even having to
look at it.
It's only getting a bit more complicated when integrating
new modules as it's hard to change language syntax once
it's out in the wild.
(e.g. https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/1380)
But it pretty much all the cases the result of the
discussions is a better solution, even if it takes some
time.

Anyway, I'm just asking because it's a bit sad seeing
all those dead pyscad projects (just an example, but I
feel there are at least 10 different ones with that name)
with description "Make better OpenSCAD and work around
limitations" with maybe 100 commits from some years ago.
Yep, there's lots of things that need improvement, and
at least some of those don't need a separate project.

As said before, it's not wrong to start a project like
that, it's very likely there's lots of things to learn
and that a good thing. But it's also very likely the
project is dead a couple of month later.

ciao,
  Torsten.