[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Wed Oct 5 19:40:45 EDT 2016

On 10/06/2016 01:25 AM, Dan Shriver wrote:
> But if you have an arbitrary idea for an object in your
> brain snap to capabilities and the like (such as offsets
> from snap to in various units) and a bigger variety of
> primitives would be a big help.

More primitives is basically a matter of a maintained
library providing those. There is no real need for the
core to provide that directly.

> Another way to approach it is some kind of "marriage of
> tools" where one CAD suite provides that and OpenSCAD
> concentrates on the math side but both can import / export
> from each other.  If you were importing into OpenSCAD I
> would fully expect that the autogenerated code or whatever
> would look horrible.

In general, that's not going to work easily (well, you can
just import files generated by other tools, but I don't
count that as "easy"). I do have some ideas regarding
LibreCAD and 2D sketching. If that ever is going to happen,
I don't know. With the long list of open topics and the
available amount of time, the reasonable guess is
unfortunately: not anytime soon.

ciao,
  Torsten.