[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Dan Shriver tabbydan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:25:14 EDT 2016

as a "language" graphical languages may have issues but I think the idea
behind the original post was:

it would greatly help usability and productivity in OpenSCAD (for making
arbitrary objects) if there were snap-to capabilities (vertices, centers of
faces, cetroids of solids).  I've been musing on this just about every day
I use OpenSCAD.

The math / programming aspects of OpenSCAD are nice for making math based
shapes, visualizing equations, etc.

But if you have an arbitrary idea for an object in your brain snap to
capabilities and the like (such as offsets from snap to in various units)
and a bigger variety of primitives would be a big help.   And drawing
capablities would also help.

Another way to approach it is some kind of "marriage of tools" where one
CAD suite provides that and OpenSCAD concentrates on the math side but both
can import / export from each other.  If you were importing into OpenSCAD I
would fully expect that the autogenerated code or whatever would look
horrible.

I have fun using OpenSCAD but also find it very frustrating and tedious at
the same time, marrying it with some other Open source CAD tool (which
works more graphically) would greatly increase productivity for the end
users.