[OpenSCAD] OpenSCAD and data flow languages

doug moen doug at moens.org
Mon Oct 3 14:36:21 EDT 2016

Richard Urwin wrote:

> Have you considered that OpenSCAD is to all external purposes a Data Flow
> language that bears striking similarities to languages such as SISAL? (In
> fact making OpenSCAD more like SISAL would be wonderful -- there's more
> orthogonality and more powerful structures there,

I'm wondering what it would mean to "make OpenSCAD more like SISAL".

Wikipedia describes SISAL as a "single assignment functional programming
language with strict semantics", and that also describes OpenSCAD.

We've had discussions in the past about making OpenSCAD more like a
functional language. This would entail making functions, modules and
geometric shapes into first class values. We could also add pattern
matching, a module system (namespaces) and a record type.

But you said Data Flow language, not functional language. I have no
experience with data flow languages, and I wonder how they are different
from functional languages? As far as I can tell, the language feature that
distinguishes SISAL as a data flow language is the loop syntax,
specifically the "for" expression.