[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 12:39:20 EDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 04:58 PM, Richard Urwin wrote:
> tp3 wrote
>> If you are not prepared to let people use code snippets
>> given as learning examples, what's the point at all?
>
> Which is why I have used waivers like this one:
> "Unless I say otherwise in a particular instance, I hereby
> waive all personal copyright interest in all code and
> methodology examples I publish on the following sites: ..."
> -- http://www.wikidot.com/user:info/rurwin

Perfect, that's essentially what I'm proposing for the code
examples in the ("official") tutorials.
Although due to German law I can't just waive the copyright,
so I have to declare it CC0 and hope that works.

> I have a nice little program I put together to monitor both
> sides of a serial conversation. Along with a special cable
> it's very useful for bebugging protocol issues. However it
> is built on top of a code example that shipped with Microsoft's
> Visual Studio. I can't distribute it to anyone who doesn't
> have a Visual Studio license. It's annoying but it's the
> price you pay.

See? And *I* absolutely don't want teachers to pay that
kind of price when trying to use OpenSCAD documentation.
Because I suspect in 98% of the cases it will just mean
it's not used at all. And that the worst option.
If someone decides to make other great documentation with
a different license, that's cool, and I'm still happy about
it existing. However, I won't contribute to that.
Like there's an Udemy course about OpenSCAD which is
currently available for 19€ and I saw someone mentioning
it is well done. That's nice to have, nothing wrong with
additional options.

ciao,
  Torsten.