[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Richard Urwin soronlin+openscad at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:58:09 EDT 2016

tp3 wrote
> I'm talking about *the
> code snippets* shown in tutorials/books, NOT about the whole
> tutorial or the whole book.
>
> If you are not prepared to let people use code snippets given
> as learning examples, what's the point at all?

Which is why I have used waivers like this one:
"Unless I say otherwise in a particular instance, I hereby waive all
personal copyright interest in all code and methodology examples I publish
on the following sites: ..." -- http://www.wikidot.com/user:info/rurwin

It would be nice if book authors did the same.
The answer is still correct though: talk to the author. If they can give you
a letter formally giving you permission to use code snippets then you would
be safe. Of course a mainstream published  book has more interested parties
and you would be unlikely to get a clear enough answer for your needs.
That's a pain.

I have a nice little program I put together to monitor both sides of a
serial conversation. Along with a special cable it's very useful for
bebugging protocol issues. However it is built on top of a code example that
shipped with Microsoft's Visual Studio. I can't distribute it to anyone who
doesn't have a Visual Studio license. It's annoying but it's the price you
pay.

You could write out the examples in your own words. Just like the soup
example above, a program is only copyrightable in its creative content. So
long as you rewrite it from memory and change the names and maybe the order
of statements, you will be safe.