[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 10:28:58 EDT 2016

On 10/03/2016 11:19 AM, Richard Urwin wrote:
> tp3 wrote
>> Some of those with licenses that confuse me (e.g. what about people who
>> want to use OpenSCAD to create a 3d printer design they want to sell. Are
>> those people allowed to use the code from CC-NC
>> tutorials?
>
> The answer is to contact the author and ask them. Most of
> the stuff I produce (nothing relevant to here yet) have
> CC_BY_NC licenses because I don't want someone else making
> money from work I am giving away free. However if someone
> wanted to offer me a reasonable cut, or if their case was
> charitable or their use was negligable, I would be more
> than willing to give them a commercial license.

I'm sorry, but no, that's is not the answer. We might talk
about quite different things though. I'm talking about *the
code snippets* shown in tutorials/books, NOT about the whole
tutorial or the whole book.

If you are not prepared to let people use code snippets given
as learning examples, what's the point at all?

I would like the OpenSCAD documentation and very much specifically
tutorials useful for education to be usable in any way. I've
seen quite a number of references to OpenSCAD used by teachers
and that's what *I* want to support. And I want them to use the
stuff without even a remote risk of someone saying "you need
the school lawyer to acquire a license before you can use it".
(Yes, may still happen, there's no ideal world yet, but that's
not the point).

It really bothers me how the big companies are pushing their
proprietary apps into schools like Apple did lately with their
Swift app. In my view applications like SonicPI should be
selected for education. It would be awesome if OpenSCAD could
become a good option too, but for that to happen, we will
need to help by providing at least a fair amount of initial
documentation/tutorials for that.

Anyway, we are using Wikibooks for the official docs, so the
license of that documentation *must be* CC-BY-SA and GFDL
anyway as that's what Wikibooks enforces.
I'm simply proposing the additional release of all the
included *code snippets* to be public domain / CC0 so that
code can be used without restrictions (which is allowed by
Wikibooks as far as I read the related Wikibooks docs).

ciao,
  Torsten.