[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Mon Oct 3 08:37:34 EDT 2016

Making soup is nothing like making software.

Once you wrote a piece of code (should I called it a "soup recipe" ?), it
is eternally useful - while probably also broken to some extent of course -
without the need for you to continue working on it. That specific version
can benefit people without any further input from you. So the comparison to
the "slave soup maker" is not fair, even if there's future economic
activity based on your piece of freely distributed code (recipe).

The comparison to soup making would be fair if you were talking about
software maintainance. I.e. if you were talking about a programmer who
continuously provides the service of tweaking, improving, bugfixing,
packaging, etc. For that kind of work there are indeed companies hiring
developers/maintainers/packagers and paying them to develop and maintain
free software. So, the "soup maker" is paid for the service of actually
preparing soup on a daily-basis. The obvious name that comes to mind is
RedHat. But there are plenty of other companies that also work that way
nowadays.

Off course, there must be plenty of soup makers in the world still
complaining that someone "stole their soup recipe". But that's not the
point.