[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 3 07:08:26 EDT 2016

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016 03:59:51 -0700 (MST)
Richard Urwin <soronlin+openscad at googlemail.com> wrote:

> nophead wrote
> >>because I don't want someone else making money from work I am giving away
> > free.
> >
> > Why? If you aren't intending to make money from it yourself, why stop
> > others?
>
> It's complex.
> I could say that if you were working in a soup-kitchen, you would be
> displeased to find that people were taking your food and selling it on. But
> software is not an expendable resource so the analogy fails. To reach the
> real argument we need to get into more esoteric language.
>
> The CC/GPL/whatever is the basis of a gift-economy.

<pedant>
CC is pointedly not that. It's a range of standardised licences that
model typical internet use cases to make transactons and re-use low
friction. That is why it includes CC-NC and the like. It spans everything
from public domain (CC0) to commons (CC-SA) to non-commercial (CC-NC) as
well as attribution/gift models.

GPL is a commons economy which is not the same thing as a gift economy at
all.

The examples you probably want are the BSD/MIT style licences.
</pedant>

Alan