[OpenSCAD] Fusion360 and OpenSCAD

Richard Urwin soronlin+openscad at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 3 06:59:51 EDT 2016

nophead wrote
>>because I don't want someone else making money from work I am giving away
> free.
>
> Why? If you aren't intending to make money from it yourself, why stop
> others?

It's complex.
I could say that if you were working in a soup-kitchen, you would be
displeased to find that people were taking your food and selling it on. But
software is not an expendable resource so the analogy fails. To reach the
real argument we need to get into more esoteric language.

The CC/GPL/whatever is the basis of a gift-economy. In such an economy,
status is gained by giving stuff away. You see it in Beowulf, where the king
gives his favoured warriors gold rings. I have put time, energy and
expertise into generating a product with worth. It must have worth, or you
would not want to use it. I give this away for no cost because it pleases me
to help other people and in return I receive recognition. The people who
receive it recognise that it is a gift with worth. The fact that it is free
has value to me.

So imagine that you were running that soup-kitchen in the basement of an
apartment block and you hear that the landlord is advertising that the
apartments come with a free restaurant and thereore gets more applications
and can charge higher rents. You might feel that this is wrong. You might
tell him that you are slaving away in that kitchen for hours and that work
has a value that he would otherwise have to pay for. You would be happy to
provide restaurant services to his tenents for a reasonable sum, and if they
were to find their way to you on their own you would be happy to feed them,
but he should not be making money off your free gift.