[OpenSCAD] Clarifying behaviors

Ronaldo rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:05:41 EDT 2016

Thank you, doug, for your answer.

Yes, that is also what I expect from the scalar product and sum of lists. I
could not say, however, that this was my understanding unless I had read the
OpenSCAD code (what I am not able to do :( ). Without a language
specification, the only source to solve this kind of doubts are the manual
and you, the team is working hard for a fantastic open software. And the
manual is sometimes incomplete or misleading. I have started a small
contribution to the manual but in respect to some issues I need your
confirmation.

I don't like the way the manual presents those operator. I don't like the
name vectors for lists. It is misleading for the beginner that may think of
a list of two or three numbers, the coordinates of a 2D or 3D vector. If you
understand [x, [y, z, [w]] ], where x, y, z, w are numbers, as an element of
a vector space, well, I agree that the addition of lists is an addition of
vectors defined for vectors in the same vector space and undef otherwise.
But how many OpenSCAD users have this understanding?

When, by means of lots of tests, I realized that and saw how beautiful is
the language and how misleading is this topic in the manual. And I use it in
my codes.

So, if this behavior is part of the language specification, nice!, I would
try to express it in a manual review. And I can trust in it and keep using
it.

I have never seen the "broadcasting" addition before. Combining this
operator with the recursive nature of the addition of lists, may I expect
that  [1, 1] + [[2, 3], [4, 5]] == [[3, 4], [5, 6]] ?

Ronaldo