[OpenSCAD] Creating DXF file with round shapes

doug moen doug at moens.org
Wed Jun 29 08:56:20 EDT 2016

OpenSCAD represents 2D shapes as polygons. That's just the way it works. So
circles are represented by regular polygons.

If you write
   projection() cylinder(h=12, r=80, $fn=100);
then you have direct control over the number of line segments used to
approximate the circle (in this case, 100). You can pick a $fn value that's
high enough so that the circle looks good in laser cutter output.

More information here:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Other_Language_Features#.24fa.2C_.24fs_and_.24fn