[OpenSCAD] Qt5

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Wed Jun 29 05:50:04 EDT 2016

Von: "Rogier Wolff" <R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl>
> No. this is not feasible. QT5 makes openScad unbearably slow when the
> model becomes a bit complicated. This bug needs to be fixed first
> before we can switch to QT5....

Can you clearify what you mean by that? What OS are you talking about?

The only issue (as far as I know), that had anything to do with
Qt4 vs. Qt5 is about the QGLWidget on Linux. This is fixed quite
some time ago by switching to the new QOpenGLWidget provided in
Qt5.
AFAICS that fix is also backported to the Debian version in
release openscad-2015.03-2+dfsg-1. I don't know how other
distributions handle things.

So there is nothing to fix at this time for any of the 3 supported
platforms.

There is still a general issue with big models as the OpenGL code
is mostly using the old fixed OpenGL pipeline which is slow, does
not use GPU accelleration and can cause high CPU load for models
with lots of vertices.

That's not a "fix" though, but a serious project to get the code
updated to use more modern features provided by modrern GPUs/drivers.

ciao,
  Torsten.