[OpenSCAD] Compiling for Windows

Jamie_K vector76 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 01:03:13 EDT 2016

Hey all, I've tried following the instructions here:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Cross-compiling_for_Windows_on_Linux_or_Mac_OS_X

And I've been having a hell of a time.

1. Installed fresh Fedora 23 (64-bit) on a VM
2. Installed mxe dependencies
dnf install \
    autoconf automake bash bison bzip2 flex gcc-c++ \
    gdk-pixbuf2-devel gettext git gperf intltool make \
    sed libffi-devel libtool openssl-devel p7zip patch \
    perl pkgconfig python ruby scons unzip wget xz
3. Downloaded and built mxe
git clone git://github.com/mxe/mxe.git
cd mxe
make mpfr eigen opencsg cgal qt
export PATH=/home/jamie/usr/bin:$PATH
since this make command succeeds without errors, I believe it worked.
4. Download and prepare to build OpenSCAD
cd
git clone git://github.com/openscad/openscad.git
cd openscad
git submodule init
git submodule update
ln -s /home/jamie/mxe/usr/i686-w64-mingw32.static/ mingw-cross-env

At this point nothing I try seems to work.
This works but I'm unsure if it populates the correct values:
source ./scripts/setenv-mingw-xbuild.sh 64

Trying this script gives me an error about missing cmake:
./scripts/mingw-x-build-dependencies.sh
But I have cmake (or the nearest thing) at
/home/jamie/mxe/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32.static-cmake
but plain 'cmake' is nowhere in the path according to 'which cmake'

I also tried what look like explicit instructions for building, adapting the
qmake command line from near the bottom of the wiki page to the nearest
qmake in my path:
i686-w64-mingw32.static-qmake-qt4 CONFIG+=mingw-cross-env openscad.pro

And it complains about eigen3 (and harfbuzz and freetype2) not being found
in pkg-config search path.

I have also tried the commands from the README.md file, with similar
results.

Is there a complete set of instructions somewhere?  Or is there a specific
set of component versions that is known to work?

-Jamie