[OpenSCAD] Evaluating imported STL's

Parkinbot rudolf at parkinbot.com
Thu Jun 16 14:57:12 EDT 2016

For me this is all a lot of speculations about internal representations. We
know that F5 translates to CSG and rendering is done in graphics
hardware/driver only, which I guess will be using its own NULLs.

As long as I can't evalute a shape in the sense of:

v = vertices(MyShape());
f = facesertices(MyShape());

everything can be in the black box.

Look at this: You can F5 it

> scale(0)cube();

and obviously get a "Normalized CSG tree has 1 elements". And CSG Tree Dump
shows:

> multmatrix([[0, 0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0, 1]]) {
> 	cube(size = [1, 1, 1], center = false);
> }

You even can F6 it and export it to STL. But there you find:

> solid OpenSCAD_Model
> endsolid OpenSCAD_Model

So where is the math point of view?