[OpenSCAD] Evaluating imported STL's

doug moen doug at moens.org
Thu Jun 16 10:30:38 EDT 2016

I thought about degenerate shapes some more.

Mathematically, a degenerate shape is one with zero volume. There is an
infinite family of degenerate 3D shapes: 0D points, 1D lines, 2D surfaces,
plus the empty set which contains no points at all. Mathematically,
operations like minkowski sum and convex hull behave differently depending
on what kind of degenerate shape is passed.

Pragmatically, it's different. OpenSCAD can't represent arbitrary 3D
shapes, only polyhedra. Degenerate shapes are a problem. Internally, we use
two different representations. With the mesh representation, a well formed
mesh must not contain any triangles with zero area. With the Nef Polyhedron
representation, AFAIK there is only one degenerate Nef Polyhedron (the
empty set), and not an infinite family.

So in practice, I think OpenSCAD can only have 1 degenerate shape, which we
should treat as the empty set. So union() {}, cube(0), cube([10,0,0]) and
others should all be treated the same way, as the unique degenerate shape.

Minkowski sum treats the empty set as the zero element and the point
[0,0,0] as the identity element, but we can have only one degenerate shape,
so we can't implement these semantics exactly. I think our unique
degenerate shape should be consistently treated as the empty set, so we
don't support an identity element for minkowski sum, only a zero element.

So that means, if you pass the degenerate shape as an argument to
minkowski, then I think the result should be the degenerate shape. It's
like multiplying a number by zero, the result is zero.

Right now, it appears that degenerate shapes aren't treated consistently.
Minkowski treats the void as its identity element, ie as [0,0,0], while
other operations I tested treat it as the empty set.

But, I just read Parkinbot's analysis, and I think he makes a good argument
with this example:
>   minkowski() {  cube();   scale([$t, $t, $t])  sphere(); }

Since we only get to have one degenerate shape, we get to choose how it
works for each operation.