[OpenSCAD] Evaluating imported STL's

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Thu Jun 16 00:41:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 09:14:09PM -0400, doug moen wrote:

> if C() is not defined, I want the evaluator to halt, highlight the
> expression C() in the editor, and display an error message, so that
> I can quickly fix my typo and try again. I can't get a correct
> result if C() is undefined, so the best thing the system can do for
> me is help me to correct the error as quickly as possible.

> I don't want the system to keep going, making me wait for a bad result.

The thing is: What costs time? The evaluation until you get there, or
the "keep going"?

Yesterday I spent an hour gathering the dependencies of a software
package. I would run "./configure" it would spend three minutes
checking for header files, and then it would say: Can't find XXXX and
bomb out.

So, normally my strategy is to fix the first error (or occasionally a
random error) and try again. But if it works like yesterday where the
wait until the error occurs I'll quickly switch to fixing ALL errors
before I try again.

For openSCAD as I know it, the "ignore undefined modules" strategy has
its merits. But a bigger "warning: ignored 3 undefined modules" would
IMHO be better...

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **