[OpenSCAD] Evaluating imported STL's

arnholm at arnholm.org arnholm at arnholm.org
Wed Jun 15 10:10:57 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-15 13:34, Lucas Vinicius Hartmann wrote:
> If all you need to know is IF 2 objects are colliding, then you may
> use intersection(), export via commandline, and check for a non-empty
> resulting STL (filesize maybe?).

Based on 2 STL files (or better: 2 AMF files), it would be trivially
easy and fast to determine many cases of non-intersection, based on
bounding boxes. However, there will be cases where bounding boxes
intersect but where the bodies still do not intersect. For these cases a
more detailed intersection algorithm is needed.

However, I am not aware of any way something like this can be done in
OpenSCAD.

Carsten Arnholm