[OpenSCAD] Improve rendering speed

Ronaldo rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 18:35:16 EDT 2016

Hi, Wolf.

I have been using this approach a lot. Bellow you will find an experiment I
did that helped me to debug the equations of two deformations: twist and
taper. In the code, I define a module to twist a polyhedron with triangular
faces and a function that taper a similar kind of polyhedron. The faces are
subdivided and the deformation is applied to each vertex of the subdivision.
This is the result:
<http://forum.openscad.org/file/n17608/Twist%26Taper.png>
and here is the code:
deform.scad <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n17608/deform.scad>
As you may see, the function and the module let to the user the burden of
triangulating the non-triangular faces of the polyhedron. And, as Parkingbot
pointed out, it doesn't check for self-intersections that is hard to
implement and process. Finally if the polyhedron data doesn't define a
manifold, the deformed object will not be acceptable by CGAL.

Ronaldo