[OpenSCAD] Abbreviations

buttim maurizio.butti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 09:50:01 EDT 2016

I wouldn't define CTRL+B as a bizarre shortcut. Not more than the standard
copy CTRL+C and surely less than CTRL+SHIFT+F that OpenSCAD already uses
for replace. The expansion is actually accessible via the menu (which lists
the shortcut so that one can learn it for the next time).
Il will become even less bizarre since 90%+ of the constructs are
expandable that way; hence a very frequent use of the shortcut.
In terms of speed the right comparison is for cube([]);<left><left>left>
(not 6 keystrokes but 12). And it is even more evident for intersection (2
keystrokes against 20+).
I chose the keystroke because Scite already uses the same. ESC would be
nice but seems a bit nonstandard/dangerous to me. A timeout would be
definitely not desirable for most users  I'm afraid.
A possible alternative would be the combo CTRL+SPACE, which some editors
use for keyword completion. But it still is as "complex" as the current one
(although the space key is bigger and therefore easier to hit).
The occasional OpenSCAD users probably won't gain anything from
abbreviations, but people who spend a few hours with the editor would
probably benefit.