[OpenSCAD] puzzlecutlib rendering problem & STL export error Current top level object is empty.

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Sun Jun 5 16:50:35 EDT 2016

Just to throw in an experience I had of a small 'L' bracket part that snapped. There was no way I could brace it any more than I had, so I made up a batch of 5min epoxy and with a toothpick smeared and poked the glue back into the 30% fill. Then a point of weakness became very strong.
So my question is could you over dimension the parts to be joined, then remove the excess 'skin' and bond the two parts in that fashion? On a bigger area an old tooth brush could help penetrate the fill matrix quickly.  Marker indentations into the faces to be joined could help determine how much plastic to remove.

Rob

On 6 June 2016 2:19:41 AM AEST, Ronaldo <rcmpersiano at gmail.com> wrote:
>I don't recommend the use of Sketchup. I had used it because I am used
>to it
>and had not much experience with other tools. But it is cumbersome. I
>think
>Netfabb should be the first choice. The site Torsten referred is easy
>to use
>and the results are usually good. You always can submit the fixed part
>again
>if the first fixing wasn't enough. I think that was my procedure. You
>should
>try it. Meshlab is a big software with lots of options but requires
>some
>experience.
>
>Regarding your cuts: I understand that you want to puzzlecut the part
>at
>that line in order to strenght the joints by the mounting bolts. But I
>would
>not cut it upright like you did because the printing will require
>support to
>deal with the notches when the part is laid down on the printer table.
>would cut it laid down so the notches goes vertically as Torsten's
>image
>shows. Anyway, you should choose the cutSize and xCut1 parameters to
>avoid
>interference with part features and thin surfaces. With cutSize=6, your
>cut
>seems to work.
>
>I still think dovetails are a better choice. I did not understood what
>were
>your troubles with them.
>

>--

Sent from my Android