[OpenSCAD] STL without render?

Ronaldo rcmpersiano at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 09:16:19 EDT 2016

tp3 wrote
> Yes, this is all pretty much known, and the discussion about
> alternatives is also not new. The Problem is that there's no
> real alternative in sight.
>
> The page collecting some info is:
> https://github.com/openscad/openscad/wiki/Project%3A-Survey-of-CSG-algorithms

Thank you for the reference. I am playing with F-rep (implicit
representation) that Doug has mentioned elsewhere. I have implemented simple
modelling and rendering techniques using just OpenSCAD language. It is
certainly not efficient that way but promising. Here is an example of a
twist of a holed cube:
<http://forum.openscad.org/file/n17551/Holed_cube_twist.png>
The twisted hole was made in the F-rep form. The vertical hole was done by
CGAL from regular OpenSCAD cylinder. Imagine do that with B-rep directly...

Note that voxel based methods leads naturally to bounding box benefits. The
edges in the above image are rough because I have not implemented a feature
recognition method like a B-rep boolean operation inside a voxel.