[OpenSCAD] STL without render?

bsuter ben.suter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:05:22 EDT 2016

Aha, I think I see what you mean:
1. What I'm doing now: cylinder from point A to point B, a sphere at
point B, another cylinder from point B to point C

2. What you suggest: spheres at points A, B and C; plus hull() of each
pair of spheres? But would I need to duplicate the sphere at point B,
since it's part of two hulls?

Did I understand that correctly? I'll try this.

I found another thread that discusses something similar. Interestingly
it starts with someone doing a hull() of two spheres, and hoping for a
faster solution.
http://forum.openscad.org/Rods-between-3D-points-td13104.html

3. User runsun then suggested: "It will be much faster if you can
generate points on both end points and use polyhedron.", followed by
detailed instructions.

In my case, I am able to generate the points framing a circle at each
end of the intended segment, call this pts_base and pts_top. So it
sounds like I could try:
pts = concat(pts_base, pts_top);
faces = faces(shape="rod", nside= len(pts_base), nseg=1);
polyhedron(points=pts, faces=faces("rod", nside=12));

However, this still needs some way to "fill the joint" at the
intersection of two such rods, and from what I've been reading in this
thread, it sounds like maybe it's precisely this problem (which I
"solved" by inserting a sphere at each joint) that is computationally
expensive?