[OpenSCAD] STL without render?

Parkinbot rudolf at parkinbot.com
Thu Jun 2 07:24:58 EDT 2016

How lovely! Nice to see, what people do with OpenSCAD.

A similar problem, doing a union() of a large number of cylinder and sphere
primitives is currently discussed here.
http://www.thingiverse.com/groups/openscad/topic:6515#comment-900694
CGAL rendering is not very efficient when (very) large numbers of shapes
come into play.

I've implemented some Matlab class to generically describe arteries with an
interpolation scheme. The output is a winding 'wire' in 3D with free radius
a each point in STL-format. In lack of an own union or furcation operator
capable to do the intersection triangulation we currently use OpenSCAD and
Blender to compose porperly placed wires into tree structures which we again
cut into puzzle pieces for 3D print.

You might be interested for inspiration or even build on at least part of
the code (in a non-commercial way), e.g. to implement this 'little' details
on your own. Send me a PM to get in further touch.

I imagine some tree class, allowing for a (recursive) generic description of
path points with radii that can render its objects to STL. In your case, I
guess, you will add a net class to connect those tree objects formally into
a network to do functional simulation.
OpenSCAD or any other CAD-Programm could be used to provide the final
union() operation connecting some number of precompiled trees (neurons) into
a printable unit. I wouldn't advise to do the programming natively in
OpenSCAD.

Rudolf