[OpenSCAD] STL without render?

Rob Ward rl.ward at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 1 08:29:19 EDT 2016

I like the idea of modeling cellular activity or constructions. OpenSCAD
lends itself really well to visualizing these things, but
computationally we are still limited compared to the biological
capacity. I think a previous thread discussing narrowing bifurcating
cylinders with smooth transitions, similar to what we could expect going
from arteries to capillaries and back to veins, was running into a
similar exponential growth in the computational challenge. It reminded
me though that as every cell reproduces, it essentially spawns another
two computational units in the nucleus of those new cells (The answer to
the N squared problem?).  The programs in the DNA are applying their
rules in the new environment for each new cell.  I can't see us
surpassing this system too quickly with our silicon models, but I admire
the efforts of people such as Ben who are investigating these areas.
Rob