[OpenSCAD] 3D printing survey

Len Trigg lenbok at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:16:17 EDT 2015

The funding of the open source projects we all love and derive benefit from
is certainly important, and it would be nice if there were an easy way for
people to e.g. subscribe $2/mo to ongoing development.

Openscad is listed on https://www.bountysource.com/teams/openscad/bounties
but I think essentially no-one has heard of it, and as a supporter you make
lump sum donations for your favourite issues (which may or may not get
worked on). It has the benefit that anyone who contributes to developing
could claim a bounty, but it's not a dead-easy system for a supporter.

Another alternative that I only heard about a few days ago is
http://www.patreon.com/, which lets people be patrons of their favourite
artists/content providers -- sort of like a monthly subscription but I
think it is linked to releases of new content (in the openscad world this
might be releases, nightly builds, commits?). E.g. this might let people
subscribe at a max of $2/month as long as development is still happening.
Presumably then there is the issue of how any funds get distributed though.

Neither sounds perfect. Perhaps the bountysource guys could add a "I don't
know or care about 'issues' but just want to support the project"
subscription option?

Cheers,
Len.