[OpenSCAD] graphics card speed in openSCAD

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Sat Sep 19 18:23:50 EDT 2015

On 09/19/2015 11:34 PM, ufomorace wrote:
> Hi there, Thanks Torsten i'll have to learn some new graphics concepts. it is
> a very complex renderer.

At least the F6 result rendering is pretty easy, I don't know
enough about the preview stuff (that is how OpenCSG works in
detail) yet to judge that part.

I wrote a simple 3d mesh viewer to learn about how to use the
more modern OpenGL stuff, especially putting all data directly
into the graphics card and using shaders to display the mesh
(https://github.com/t-paul/3dview/).
The ideal solution would be to use some library to make it
even easier. I still did not manage to find the time to have
a closer look at Magnum (http://mosra.cz/blog/index-en.php)
but that seems like a nice option and the main developer is
also very active and helpful.

My impression is that the biggest part in improving the OpenSCAD
rendering code is to do it in a way that works on all platforms.
There seem to be still lots of systems that are not capable of
using modern OpenGL (mainly due to missing/obsolete graphics
drivers).

ciao,
  Torsten.