[OpenSCAD] Polyhedron tube with irregular sides -- is it possible ?

runsun runsun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:56:45 EDT 2015

Hi Don, interesting approach. I seem to read similar one when reading
Computer Geometry or something a while back, but can't recall what it's for.

This approach seems to simplify the problem significantly. The
re-arrangement of points is not a big issue.

On the other hand, for my application, it might bring up other problems.
What I show in this thread is an extremely simplified example. The actual
tube in my lib could be a complicated one with random curving, etc. To make
a holed surface on the end of a long tube with this approach, the entire
tube will have to be sliced apart.

I also intend to use a holed surface as the merging face when cylinder of
different sides (in polyhedron) linked together. That is, to merge two
polyhedria. It will then be a budding, but not hole-punching/cutting,
process.

Anyway, thx for the idea. I believe it'd turn out useful in the future
development of my lib.

-----

$  Runsun Pan, PhD

$ -- libs: doctest , faces ( git ), offliner ( git );

 tips: hash( 1 , 2 ), sweep , var

$ -- Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca x64  + OpenSCAD 2015.03.15/2015.04.01.nightly