[OpenSCAD] Working around CGAL color limitations, mesh post processing.

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Thu Sep 10 08:38:19 EDT 2015

Von: ufomorace <ant.stewart at yahoo.com>
> 1> i dont know what language OpenSCAD is written in

C++

> 2> i dont know how private/static/reserved/next to window/void
> functions work

I'd say that's not a huge issue, following the examples of
the other exports is quite good enough to get started.

Actually the whole export part needs some refinement as it
currently has some code duplication due to different internal
data structures.
(e.g. https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/910,
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/909)

> 3> i don't know what variables to save the input array to,
> for later comparison to the output mesh, perhaps i should
> write it to a .txt file and read it after CGAL has finised
> writing, i dont know.

I don't understand that part. The current export code simply
writes data directly into a file output stream as it iterates
over the mesh.

See:
https://github.com/openscad/openscad/blob/master/src/export.cc

> 4> Perhaps someone could supply me with a coding framework
> for openscad where i have access to the input arrays of
> objects and their colors, and the output ones, and from there
> i can write a code that saves a color x3d file.

I'm not sure what coding framework means. Depending on which
Operating System you are working the process differs a bit.
On a recent Linux system, it's probably easiest to follow
the steps from the readme on GitHub as essentially all the
dependencies are available from the distributions.
For Windows, there's a description to set-up a MSYS2 based
development environment in the Manual.
(https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Building_on_Microsoft_Windows)
On MacOS, the dependencies are best compiled separately, I
think, but there are scripts to help with that.

ciao,
  Torsten.