[OpenSCAD] Front end suggestion

Gary Crowell garyacrowellsr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 11:07:46 EDT 2015

I like the features of the new editor too, but I don't use it.  I like the
autocomplete and in-line help offered by my thing
<http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:167899> for use in Notepad++ as an
external editor.  I haven't noticed any other editors that offer both for
OpenSCAD.

When I type 'tr' it opens the following drop-down list:

*translate ([*
*translate ([0, 0, 0])*
*translate ([0, 0, 0]) cube (size = [1, 1, 1]);*
*translate ([0, 0, 0]) cylinder (h =*
*translate ([0, 0, 0]) rotate (a = [0, 0, 0]) cube (size = [1, 1, 1]);*
*translate ([0, 0, 0]) rotate (a = [0, 0, 0]) cylinder (h =*

This is much like your commented list, except that it is available at a few
keystrokes rather than a copy-and-paste.  And there are similar lists for
nearly every keyword, where appropriate. I don't include 'center' in the
above list, because it has it's own autocomplete with 'ce'.

Typing 'rotate(' opens the following tooltip:

*rotate ()*
*rotate (a = [x, y, z]) {...} - rotates the object 'a' degrees around the
origin.*
*Also: rotate (a = deg, v = [x, y, z]) {...} - rotates the object 'a'
degrees around the axis specified by the vector.*

And again, nearly every keyword is represented.

I could never get the autocomplete/tooltip files to work with any Notepad++
version later than 6.5.3, but all older versions are available on the
Notepad++ website. At least for OpenSCAD, I haven't noticed that newer
versions offer anything significant.

I'm a pretty inexperienced user of OpenSCAD, so the autocomplete lists
reflect what I've found useful.  I'm sure there are many entries that could
be added - I'd welcome suggestions.

Gary A. Crowell Sr., P.E. <http://www.ipels.idaho.gov/>, CID+
<http://dc.ipc.org/html/default.htm>
Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyacrowellsr>  Elance