[OpenSCAD] New 3MF file format

Bob Cousins bobcousins42 at googlemail.com
Wed May 27 05:28:21 EDT 2015

The DRM relevant features of the spec are all optional, the only required
part is the 3D model. So I think a conformant implementation need not
process any DRM.

I understand there is great suspicion of Microsoft, but in my reading 3MF
is a genuinely open spec, there are no strings attached. It actually makes
clear it is royalty free, unlike AMF. It also can be freely downloaded,
unlike AMF which costs $49 and you have to agree to inspection of your
premises and computer systems by a third party to ensure you are complying
with the copyright (i.e. not made ANY copies), otherwise the agreement is
cancelled and you must destroy all copies.

Personally I find it a lot easier to implement 3MF than AMF.