[OpenSCAD] Semantics CSG ops with respect to color, materials

doug moen doug at moens.org
Fri May 22 09:15:40 EDT 2015

Hi, Biskero, that's an interesting requirement.

I'm not sure if AMF is suitable for this. You could explicitly break up
your object into a series of layers, with each layer represented as a
triangle mesh, but that would kind of suck: you'd get a huge file, and you
might run into some limits on model size (either OpenSCAD or the slicer
might choke on the number of triangles). There might be a clever way to
encode this in AMF, where you configure the slicer to generate alternate
layers of different materials if it sees [something clever] in the AMF
representation, but I don't have a specific proposal.

It's easy to see how to do this with the SVX file format, since the object
is represented as a stack of layers.

I'm quite enthusiastic about SVX, because it's so simple and yet so
powerful. It should be a lot easier to write a slicer that converts SVX to
gcode than to convert STL to gcode. I'm not sure if anybody in the open
source community is working on this yet, but I think SVX support will open
up new possibilities for multi-material printing on open source 3D printers.