[OpenSCAD] Specification of CSG file format?

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Mon May 18 11:51:43 EDT 2015

On May 18, 2015, at 05:04 AM, arnholm at arnholm.org wrote:

> With such options, OpenSCAD models could be more easily exchanged with e.g. FreeCAD. I tested FreeCAD .csg import yesterday and it failed on a very simple model because I had used hull() in OpenSCAD.

The challenge is that such a model might not be very useful - you’ve effectively stripped away most of the value OpenSCAD provides, and it might end up being marginally better than STL.
..then comes the challenge that lots of CAD tools don’t even support importing meshes, and would need higher level shapes and their relationships (e.g. STEP).

Anyway, one step at a time. We usually add features where it hurts the most. If you have cool ideas, you can always give implementing it a shot - having examples and someone willing to write code greatly improves the chances of it happening.

 -Marius