[OpenSCAD] Specification of CSG file format?

Marius Kintel marius at kintel.net
Mon May 18 03:56:21 EDT 2015

On May 17, 2015, at 18:11 PM, Carsten Arnholm <arnholm at arnholm.org> wrote:

> I know other programs have made import filters for such files, but then the only "contract" is OpenSCAD documentation, right?

.csg export was added specifically to support some research being done in the RepRap project on inlining CSG operation with slicing for 3D printing.
Since then, people have started to use it as some sort of interoperability format (e.g. FreeCAD has a .csg parser for importing static OpenSCAD content).
There has been discussions on changing some aspects of .csg output; replacing multmatrix with logical transformations, replacing import() with polygon()/polyhedron(), or even replacing more advanced built-in modules like hull() and minkowski() with their results, making it easier to read or import such files.

 -Marius