[OpenSCAD] Specification of CSG file format?

doug moen doug at moens.org
Sun May 17 18:50:30 EDT 2015

A group is a list of shapes and groups. 'group' is an undocumented,
built-in OpenSCAD module that returns a group.

A module is a function with two argument lists. The inner argument list is
a list of values, while the outer argument list is either a primitive
shape, or a group of shapes. In the case of a user-defined module, the
outer argument list is always converted to a group, this group is what
children() returns.

The result returned by a module is either a shape or a group. Currently,
only built-in modules like 'cube' and 'scale' return shapes; user defined
modules return a group.

The behaviour of user-defined modules may change in the future, especially
if some of the ideas in OpenSCAD2 are implemented. It will be possible for
a user-defined module to return a single shape, instead of a group. Also,
the current behaviour of the builtin module 'for()' is to always return a
group, but Marius and I would like to change that. So the CSG tree might be
flatter in the future, due to fewer intermediate groups being generated.