[OpenSCAD] eval( ) ???

Torsten Paul Torsten.Paul at gmx.de
Sun May 17 18:15:45 EDT 2015

On 05/17/2015 11:34 PM, Carsten Arnholm wrote:
> On the top of the front page of http://www.openscad.org/ it
 > says "The Programmers Solid 3D CAD Modeller". Programmers
 > are the stated primary target for OpenSCAD. There are many
 > CAD packages around, most target non-programmers first and
 > foremost. OpenSCAD targets programmers and that should
 > influence the way capabilities are improved. This is not
 > in conflict with accommodating also users with a different
> background, in my opinion.

I'm not so sure about the main target audience. Also note it
still says "Modeller" not "Programming language".

The interesting thing is that programmers have the tendency
trying to fit OpenSCAD scripts into the same behavior they
expect from the language they are using normally. This is
what Alan teasingly calls "iterative programmer disease" :-).

I think there's room for both things, a modeller like
OpenSCAD and a programming language to generate models
for special use like generating models based on data
stored in a database or something similar. Just like
HTML5 + CSS is the descriptive way and can produce even
extremely cool and interactive stuff without running code,
but there is still a range of topics where JavaScript is
needed in addition.

One very impressive example for how low the entry barrier
actually is after diving into it is the video from that
post:
http://forum.openscad.org/just-fun-4th-graders-openSCAD-in-schools-td12077.html

ciao,
   Torsten.